Friday, August 13, 2010

Ring-a-Ding-Ding

The first thing a woman does, naturally, when her boyfriend starts dropping hints about popping the question is look at ring styles. These days, there are so many styles to pick from; it's no wonder that a guy can easily lose his mind trying to find the right ring for his girl! Well, that, and he doesn't want to get her something that she hates, and yet has to wear every day.

Jacob has expressed an issue with diamonds, asking, "Do engagement rings have to be diamond?" In truth, no, they don't. Diamond engagement rings were first documented in 1477, given from the Archduke Maximilian of Austria to his betrothed, Mary of Burgundy, but engagement rings themselves have been around since the Roman era, give or take eight centuries.
Diamonds have become the modern tradition, though, because of DeBeer's awe-inspiring advertising campaign, and because they are the hardest stone on the planet, symbolizing innocence and constancy. And, according to DeBeer's, "A Diamond is Forever." They do have a practical use, though: because of their hardness, they can withstand everyday wear and tear, and resist scratching.

I'm sure my love was asking on a more personal basis, meaning, "Does your engagement ring have to be diamond?" Honestly, I had never seen it any other way. Blame it on the movies and modern media, if you like. Some brides may choose rings that are fitted with their birthstone, while some just choose a stone that they think is beautiful; others, like me, just go the traditional route and choose diamonds.
For one thing, my birthstone is pearl, which is down at around 4 on the hardness scale (a diamond is a 10) and is known to be porous. For another, I have never seen my engagement ring as anything other than diamond. I'm sure that his concern lies in two factors: one, diamond rings are available nearly everywhere, so they aren't as rare as some would lead you to believe, and two, the cost of diamond rings can be outrageous.

I have done some looking around online at some ring styles, to find styles that I like; I even found some at a few local retailers, so if he sees one on there that he likes he can just go there and take care of business. (When the time comes, of course.)

For these styles, I have kept in mind three things:
  1. The cost. I know we don't have a lot of money to spend (and neither will we, when it actually comes time to get a ring), so while these choices are all diamonds, they are not full-carat rings. (Well, the ones from local retailers aren't, anyway.)
  2. The ring has to have a visual attraction to it. My boyfriend is an artist, and I am an amateur freelance photographer, so there must be some sort of visual dynamism that pulls us in. He can obviously veto any of the rings; he is the one buying it. (But he must also keep in mind that I am the one wearing it, so my voice carries a bit farther in this case.) Granted, one would think that rings are made to be looked at, and so jewelry designers wouldn't make unattractive rings, but they do. (IMHO) Sure, they are taught the basics of composition, same as the rest of the artists in the world, however, it all comes down to individual taste.
  3. He doesn't wear jewelry on a daily basis, so his ring --should we buy complementing rings-- should be simple in nature.


First, the engagement rings available from local retailers, in no particular order:

I love the unique, double band look of this one.
Available from Ostbye (a partner of local Weiss Jewelers)
I love, love, love the Everlon collection.
Not only because the debut commercial for it included my favorite version of I Got You Babe, but because the entire collection is gorgeous, and I love the knot symbol.
Available locally at JCPenney.

Semi-art deco inspiration, yet simple enough to be worn with anything.
A touch high on the ostentacious meter.
Available through Ostbye.
I love the trail of small diamonds leading to the larger one.

(This one is the most expensive ring on this local list.)
Available through Zales.
The classic, traditional ring, able to complement nearly any wedding ring added to it.
Available at Ostbye.
This one is from one of my favorite lines of jewelry out there: Past, Present, and Future.
Gotta love the way that 1/4ct stands out above the channel stones.
(Ties for most expensive ring on here.)
Available at Zales.





And now for the bridal sets at local retailers, again in no particular order:

Gotta love the Celtic-inspired twisting of metal on this piece.
And the art-deco-esque stone adds visual oomph to it as well.
Available through Allison-Kaufman Company.
A simple, round engagement ring is enhanced by an encircling round set of diamonds on the wedding band.
Simple, and yet visually attractive. Truly made to look like it is just one ring.
Available through Ostbye.
Gotta love the way the lines keep leading your eye back to the center stone.
Available through the Allison-Kaufman Company at Weiss Jewelers.
This looks like two pieces purchased separately and then combined brilliantly.
Available through Ostbye.


And now for some from around the web, just for inspiration, in order from solitaires to wedding pairs:
(These are all way too expensive for me to actually put these on a list of potentials!)

Simple ring, yet able to make a woman feel special whilst wearing it.

Love the dainty, vintage-inspired details on this one.
Love the brushed metal look of this one, plus it has a built-in eternity ring.
A simple ring to please my simplicity-loving man, and a visually stunning, yet simple, ring for me.
This one just speaks to the classic-lover in me. You could pair her ring with a simple round-cut engagement solitaire, or leave it just as it is. Plus, his ring isn't over-the-top and yet adds visual interest.


Now, there you have it. A few ideas, most of them simple.
I do not want a gaudy, showy, extravagant piece of jewelry.
My man does not need to buy my love, and we need to be able to still afford to live, as well as pay for a wedding. Besides, we are of the working middle class; if we were from the upper echelons of striated society, then perhaps we could afford something with a bigger stone, and I wouldn't be so hesitant as to turn up my nose at one of those last-listed rings.

No comments:

Post a Comment